This might become one of the most contested posts I’ve ever made but I’m going to tackle the 5 best motorcycles for new riders. There are lot of things to consider when buying a motorcycle, especially your first one but I believe there are 5 things that are most important:
- Engine size – you do not need anything over 600cc, in fact I recommend less.
- ABS – all the newer bikes will have ABS, which like a car will keep the wheels from locking up when you hit the brakes.
- Seat height – based on your height and body shape of course, but you’ll want something that has a lower seat height so you can sit better on the motorcycle.
- Handlebar height – like the seat height, lower is better. You do not want a chopper for your first motorcycle.
- Windscreen/fairing – while there is nothing like the breeze in your face, there is some getting used with the amount of wind that can come down on you. A good windscreen will help keep you stable and prevent you from leaning to forward on the bike for too long.
These are in no particular order, I love them all equally and one might be better suited for you over the other while for someone else the other one is better.
2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400
A great light bike that packs a 399cc engine and a $5,000 price point. It has a sporty design but maintains a low seat height and low handlebar height in turn as well. Even with the sporty design, you will find this is a pretty comfortable motorcycle.
2020 Honda CBR 500R
Probably the most aggressive looking motorcycle on this list is the Honda CBR 500R. It has a 571 parallel twin-cylinder liquid cooled engine that is paired to a 6 speed auto transmission. It has great sporty looks to it, and that makes it look like 800cc bike. Price point is around $6,000.
2020 Yamaha YZF R3
I had an older version of the YZF for my first bike and I did not regret it all. The 2020 Yamaha YZF R3 has great styling paired with a 321cc engine that delivers some great power. It gives you an upright seating position due to the seat heigh and handlebar heigh which makes it super comfortable. Price point around $5,000.
2020 KTM RC 390
A great city bike, the 2020 KTM RC 390 comes with a 373cc engine and a very light frame. While depending on your height and body shape, it might not be the most comfortable bike, it does have incredible handling. The brakes on this are also huge 320mm disc brakes that paired with the shorter wheelbase will provide excellent handling. Price point around $5,500.
2020 Honda Rebel 300
If you are looking for more of a cruiser but want the first bike power, the 2020 Honda Rebel 300 is for you. It has a 286cc engine paired on a frame inspired by the chopper design. The best seating position compared to any of the bikes on this list. Price point is around $4,500.